Thanks to a school lesson on fire safety, a 7-year-old girl from Escambia County, Fla. said she was able to rescue her family from a house fire over the weekend.

A fire broke out at young Tracy Durant’s home early Sunday morning while her 13-year-old cousin was cooking chicken on the stove, local station WEAR-TV reported. That’s when the little girl sprang into action to get her family to safety.

“It looked like when the stove was on and [the flames] came up top and then it kept getting bigger and bigger so I didn’t want us to get killed,” Durant told the news station.

Durant’s mom wasn’t home at the time, so she ran to a neighbor’s house for help. There, she asked for a phone to call 911.

Because of her quick thinking, everyone managed to escape the fire, including her 11-month-old cousin, according to WEAR-TV. Her 13-year-old cousin, however, was taken to the hospital with serious injuries but is expected to survive.

“Some stuff can be saved and some stuff can’t,” said Durant’s grandmother, LaKesha James. “I told her she saved her little cousin and she got out and ran with him and got some help. She said, ‘But grandma did I do wrong?’; [I said] ‘No baby you did the right thing.’ “

NationalNewsNews video

Leave a comment