According to several reports, Nelly is no longer facing sexual assault charges in the United Kingdom after prosecutors dropped their case.
The rapper was accused by a British woman of sexually assaulting her in December 2017 after a concert at Cliffs Pavilion in Essex, England. But his accuser refused to testify, which is why the case was dropped. She also filed a suit against the rapper in his hometown of St. Louis, and that case remains open.
Based on the woman’s claims, she took a photo with Nelly at the concert, and afterward he invited her to his dressing room, then to another area that was more private.
From there, the woman said the rapper began masturbating in front of her, then tried to take her shirt off. He then allegedly tried to force her to give him oral sex, but she ran out of the room.
In 2017 Nelly was also accused of rape by an American woman named Monique Greene, who said he assaulted her on his tour bus. Afterward, Greene sued Nelly for sexual assault and defamation, and he countersued her for defamation. But both parties decided to drop their respective suits last year.
All along Nelly has denied the allegations from both women, and in January his girlfriend Shantel Jackson came to his defense. Jackson said she was in the dressing room and on the tour bus with the rapper when the women said the assaults took place, and she claimed they’re lying.
On Thursday, Nelly released a statement about the charges being dropped and thanked investigators.
“I am very thankful to the U.K. police for thoroughly investigating the false allegations against me, and I am satisfied with the results of this case and the previous one in the US, both driven by the same attorney, both being dropped,” the rapper stated.
“I stand with women and real survivors and can’t wait to just focus on what I love, family, music and reconnecting with the fans that have stood by me through these turbulent times,” he added.